unable to retrieve full-text content

Hi Lately I have come across an issue where when I run some web links though I receive the error [unable to retrieve full-text content]. However if I rerun it a few times it will eventually work and give me back the content. I have tested this on numerous browsers, urls from different domains and configuration settings but I can’t seem to get it to work the first time. this is also very random as when I hit other urls from the same domain they work fine.

Have you come across this before?

I am currently on the paid version of 3.2

thanks
Jonathan

Hi Jonathan, we don’t experience this a lot. Usually when it has happened it has had to do with a server misbehaving - either the one running Full-Text RSS or more often the server responding with content. Most likely, the server response you’re getting is not the expected content, so Full-Text RSS can’t extract anything. If the problem persists, it could be that Full-Text RSS has cached the previous bad response (this should only happen if you’ve enabled caching and if you receive a valid HTTP response from the server - an error page can often count as a valid response). If that’s the case, you could try to disable caching.

Another thing to consider is that some servers will have software which monitor requests and IP addresses to prevent abuse. Depending on how you’re using Full-Text RSS, you may find that your server’s IP address gets temporarily blocked if it makes too many requests in a short space of time. This is usually not a problem when Full-Text RSS is used with a news reading application.

In your case, it’s hard to say for sure what’s causing this without seeing the actual server response you’re getting. But we hope to improve the debug tool in future versions to try and help users identify the cause of these issues.