Turning APC off & caching

Keyvan,

I can confirm that disabling APC in config solves the problem of a site config file not loading. Thanks!

However, if APC is off and I am processing several feeds, will I be re-loading all the site config files every time I call makefulltextfeed.php?

I want to set up some global & site configs (strip_id_or_class: breadcrumbs) but it only works with APC off. Is there some way to keep APC on, but force a config into cache so it stays there?

I currently cannot flush the APC cache due to other processes using it right now. But were I to leave APC enabled, and flush the cache, could I then expect the configs to properly get loaded and function until a future flush?

Thanks for clarifying.

Hi Marc,

Thanks for the question.

If APC is off, we do not load all site config files every time makefulltextfeed.php is called. We only look for (and load) the ones relevant for the URL you’re requesting.

So if you’re requesting a URL http://example.org/article.html

We’ll look for example.org.txt and global.txt

If APC is enabled, these files get stored in APC so subsequent requests for the same URLs don’t have to load them from disk again. So I don’t think you’ll notice a huge difference without APC.

There’s no way to force a config into the cache without flushing or deleting the cache entry for that config. If you’re unsure, the debug mode will tell you whether the config file is being loaded from APC or from disk.

cleancache.php also cleans the APC cache, but it relies on the TTL property and will clean other elements if your APC instance is shared with other applications.

And yes, if you enable APC and flush the cache, the next call to makefulltextfeed.php will add to the APC cache again - until the next flush or cache cleanup.

Hope that’s some help.

Thanks! Yes, very clear.

Marc