SimplePie issues!

I am running Full-Text RSS on an Azure instance. All of a sudden I am getting the errors below. I am crawling well over a thousand feeds. Any suggestion how this can be quickly resolved?

Deprecated: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in D:\home\site\wwwroot\libraries\simplepie\library\SimplePie\Parse\Date.php on line 544

Deprecated: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in D:\home\site\wwwroot\libraries\simplepie\library\SimplePie\Parse\Date.php on line 545

We fixed by an emergency patch to the date.php file mentioned in the error description.
I am guessing this is an older version of SimplePie which tries to use a function from an older version of PHP. For reference, we’re running on PHP 7.4.28

1 Like

Hi Rene,

You must be running Full-Text RSS 3.9.5 (released in 2019) or older. In Full-Text RSS 3.9.6 (released 2020) we updated old libraries and tested to ensure compatibility with PHP 7.4:

3.9.6 (2020-04-24)

• Compatible with PHP 7.4
  • New Puppet server initialisation script for Ubuntu 20.04 (ubuntu-20.04.pp)
  • HTML5-PHP library updated to version 2.7
  • SimplePie library updated to version 1.5.4
  • Minimum PHP version is now 5.6
  • Minor fixes

The latest Full-Text RSS release is 3.9.11 (released last year), which we’ve tested with PHP 8.

Changelog here: https://www.fivefilters.org/changelogs/full-text-rss.txt

If you haven’t updated Full-Text RSS, we recommend you do so as you may encounter other issues related to deprecated PHP functionality.

Thanks for the response. I guess I am not receiving the mails with the new releases anymore, I was under the impression we were running the latest version! Will look into upgrading tomorrow.

1 Like

Hi Rene, if you email us at help@fivefilters.org we can check to see if you were on the list when we emailed about the last Full-Text RSS update.

I am also having issues with this on Debian 11.

The feed was not recognized as valid XML due to the Simplepie error mentioned by @redevries. After some investigation the code in simplepie/library/SimplePie/Parse/Date.php needs to be updated to the following at line 544 and 545:

$this->day_pcre = '(' . implode('|', array_keys($this->day)) . ')';
$this->month_pcre = '(' . implode('|', array_keys($this->month)) . ')';

We initially solved it the same way. However, the real issue is that the latest versions of PHP also require a newer SimplePie version. Updating to the latest Full-Text RSS version resolved the issue for us.
It also eased my worry about what would break after the next PHP update :slight_smile: