Readability.php release?

Hi guys!

Thanks for your awesome work on Readability.php!
I truly appreciate all the details you shared on your blog post.

When do you plan to release a new stable version of this library?

Thanks for the post, glad to see thereā€™s some interest! :slight_smile:

Our plan was to test with a beta versions of Full-Text RSS, but progress has been a little slow. Hopefully weā€™ll have a beta version being tested internally sometime next week and if there are no major issues detected thereā€™ll then be a release of Readability.php.

I should point out that we have made a bunch of changes after that post was made, so if youā€™re prepared to test, feel free to the use the master branch on Github.

1 Like

Oh yes, there is an interest! :slight_smile:
I am testing out the composer release and find it to be quite amazing.

About those updates youā€™ve mentioned: is this reflected in the ā€˜dev-masterā€™ ā€œbranchā€ via packagist?
fivefilters/readability.php - Packagist

Are there any plans to include handling sites with these ā€œacceppt cookies and ads OR subscribeā€ redirects that can be found on some sites? :slight_smile:

Cheers

Glad to hear! :slight_smile:

About those updates youā€™ve mentioned: is this reflected in the ā€˜dev-masterā€™ ā€œbranchā€ via packagist?

Yes, dev-master should use the latest code.

Are there any plans to include handling sites with these ā€œacceppt cookies and ads OR subscribeā€ redirects that can be found on some sites?

The code is based on the Mozilla Readability package at GitHub - mozilla/readability: A standalone version of the readability lib so if they implement something like that, it will likely be included at some point. But I think the Mozilla code is primarily for the Firefox Reader mode, which probably assumes that those obstacles have already been clicked away by the user. So I donā€™t know if thatā€™s something they want to tackle directly.

Our Full-Text RSS product combines an older version of the Readability library (soon to be updated to this new one) as well a site-specific extraction rules. With the site-specific rules itā€™s often possible to bypass cookie walls and other obstacles by sending custom HTTP headers or using a rule to follow a link after the page is fetched.

1 Like

Hello,

Any news about a stable release?
Iā€™m not confortable to use a dev-master branch on prodā€¦

Hello, we expect to have a stable release out in mid November.

1 Like

Quick update to say weā€™ve now created two releases 3.0.0 (which is what dev-master was before) and 3.1.0 where weā€™ve bumped the minimum version of PHP to 7.4 and fixed issues related to PHP 8.1. Let us know if you experience any trouble with these.

Hello, is it possible to use this with FTRā€¦?

Iā€™m having an issue where pages from WSJ.com: World News wont be processed by my self-hosted FTR 3.9.11

I opened a dedicated post for that issue: wsj.com wont work in self-hosted deployment - #3 by fabio

Hi Fabio, the next version of Full-Text RSS will offer Readability.php as an option. Eventually it will become the default. We hope to have a release ready before the new year, but it might also be early in the new year.

This is fantastic news! Iā€™ll update as soon as iā€™ve migrated to the latest release :slight_smile:

Keep up the good work!

@DReffects Unfortunately itā€™s still not released. We do have a version weā€™ve been testing with Readability.php, the integration works, but thereā€™s some other changes that have held up the release. Weā€™re hoping to be able to put it out soon.

1 Like