PtK 2.6 won't install in Safari

I just upgraded my iMac (but not my MacBook) to Big Sur. The MacBook is on Mojave.

I’ve been trying to get PtK v 2.6 to download & install in Safari, on both devices, but I can’t get past the popup window where there’s a button that says “Quit and Open Safari Extensions Preferences.” I click on the button, but nothing happens. When I go to the Extension Preferences, 2.6 isn’t there.

As it happens, I had both extensions loaded on my iMac before I upgraded to Big Sur, and v. 1.6 is still in the preferences subpane. The PtK icon is in my menu bar on Safari (there used to be two icons, one for each version), but when I click on the one that’s there, the page that comes up claims to be 2.6. However, I’m a patron, so there should be an article limit line set at 100 if it really is 2.6, and it’s not there. But neither is there anything saying that there’s a 30 article limit, which IIRC it should be if 1.6 is what is loading.

(I was able to get the toolbar bookmarklet to load properly on both computers.)

Hi Harmon,

That’s odd, we have tested it on Big Sur without issue. I’ll see if we can test again to see if we can reproduce this problem.

As it happens, I had both extensions loaded on my iMac before I upgraded to Big Sur, and v. 1.6 is still in the preferences subpane.

So did version 2 get uninstalled when you upgraded, but version 1 remained?

The PtK icon is in my menu bar on Safari (there used to be two icons, one for each version), but when I click on the one that’s there, the page that comes up claims to be 2.6.

Sorry about the confusion. You’re reaching version 2.6 of the service, but because the old extension cannot send article content directly to the service, you won’t always be getting the same results as with the newer extension (for example, if you click edit, you’ll see that the ‘Use browser-retrieved content’ switch is disabled - it’s only available when using version 2 of the browser extension).

I’m a patron, so there should be an article limit line set at 100 if it really is 2.6, and it’s not there. But neither is there anything saying that there’s a 30 article limit, which IIRC it should be if 1.6 is what is loading.

We’ve disabled credits for users of the old extension because we used to charge for it, so we didn’t want to impose credits on those who recently purchased. We posted about the new MacOS extension on Patreon and mentioned that the old extension will continue to have unlimited sending until July 2021.

We should have been more careful with the version number display to avoid confusion like this. I hope this clears it up.

I’ll update again here once we’ve had a chance to try and reproduce the problem you’re experiencing with the new extension on Big Sur. Thanks for letting us know.

Now that you’ve explained about v. 1 reaching v.2.6 of the service, it does seem clear that v.2 got uninstalled. But it’s possible that it remained installed but didn’t put the icon on the menu bar.

Note - it’s not just Big Sur that I’m having this problem on. I can’t install v.2 on my laptop, which is running Mojave, & I don’t have v.1 on the laptop - it never was on the laptop. This laptop was my wife’s, & when we got her a new one, I took this to repurpose for travel.

For what it’s worth, on my iMac (Big Sur) Clean My Mac shows v. 2 (as well as v. 1) as installed. I uninstalled v. 2, redownloaded v. 2, with no change - Clean My Mac shows it as having been re-installed, but it’s not showing up in Safari/Preferences/Extensions

Here’s a screenshot of the current install situation per Clean My Mac on my iMac:

My laptop shows the same thing, except just for v. 2.

Interesting. Thanks for the additional information, Harmon. We’ll update here as soon as we know more.

If this is an extension problem, PtK is not the only one I’m having a problem getting to install. I’ve had the same failure getting WOT Safe Browsing to install. So there’s a big chance it’s not a problem with the PtK extension.

In both cases, the app related to the extension shows up as having downloaded directly into my applications folder.

Tried the usual - rebooting Safari, rebooting the computer. No effect.

Something that may help - I noticed that when I upgraded, I wound up with a “relocated items” folder. Inside that folder buried in >Security>System>Library was a file called “Send to Kindle workflow” along with the following text:

Files needing new locations

Some of your files had been in a location that is now incompatible with macOS security settings. These files were moved to the Security folder for your review.

If there are any files you want to keep, you can move them to a new location, as long as it is different from their location before the upgrade or migration.

Thanks for the additional information, Harmon. Will update here as soon as we know more.

Upgraded to Mac OS 11.3 and the Push to Kindle 2.6 app finally installed on my Safari menu line. So did the WoT app, so whatever the problem was, it has either been solved or has gone away…

1 Like

Thank you for the update. Happy to hear it’s working now after the Mac OS upgrade. If you do spot any other issues, please do let us know.