P2K 2.0 and local files

Hello all,

I recently installed P2K 2.0 in an attempt to get a readable version of a MathJax heavy page [1] onto my Kindle. While I was playing around, I noticed that I can’t seem to get the K2P extension to load when I click it while viewing a local file (e.g. something beginning with “file:///”).

Any advice is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Chrome (79.0.3945.79) on Mac OS X Mojave 10.14.6.

[1] Chapter 1 of The Structure and Interpretation of Classical Mechanics

Hi Bryce,

We don’t currently allow sending from non-http-scheme URLs. We’ll see if we can enable this in a future release.

Update 2019-12-31: Push to Kindle 2 can process local file, but you’ll need to tell Chrome to give access to local files in the extension’s settings. (See screenshot in later reply.)

But in this case the problem appears to be that the content is too much for the service. It’s really designed for web articles, not very large documents like this.

But if it did work, another issue would be the math formatting used. I don’t know what kind of support there is for it on the Kindle, but the processing we do on articles currently does not preserve the formatting as you see it on our browser.

Your math support will depend on WHAT the MathJax contains. To make this easy I’ll assume P2K can load and read the MJ.
If you use .mobi only MathML will show up. ePub 3 has further support but I’m not sure if P2K uses ePub 2 or 3.
This is a bit beyond what P2K is for though. All the way around.
Something like this would be better served with a program like Calibre and the MathJax plugin. That will actually translate the MJ to compliant xml. To be entirely generic about it.

Looked into this a bit more and it seems MathML is only supported in the newest Kindle format (KFX) and what they do there is convert it to an image for display in your Kindle. We cannot currently produce KFX formats (Amazon doesn’t offer a tool at the moment).

As for local file access, you can actually enable it in Chrome, but you’ll have to do it by enabling it in the extension settings. See screenshot…

Argh. My bad. I forget sometimes about KF8.

But the explanation explains why math texts are selectable (copyable) in ePub and iBook formats but not kindle books.
To get math into mobi I know the plugin for calibre, which isn’t supported and only works sometimes, pushes the code through a complex set of translations that at some point uses latex (its licence is in the readme) and ultimately dumps convoluted html that the primary software can convert.

They have many pages of support help in writing various equations in HTML. Many larger formulas leave me in disbelief that an author would go through the trouble. Which is probably why so many books just use images. I don’t see too many people willingly writing 150 lines of code for a 3 line equation.

1 Like