items date problem in some feeds but other works fine

in some feeds the items date is working fine with the actual date of the item.

but some other feeds the date is +2 hours although the date is fine in the main feed

you can see example here
the main feed :
http://www.youm7.com/new3agelrss.asp

the full text feed
http://elnhrda.com/full-rss/1/makefulltextfeed.php?url=www.youm7.com%2Fnew3agelrss.asp&what=auto&max=10&links=remove&exc=1&submit=Create+Feed

also if i try to use date: //span[@class=‘date’] -ofcourse with the actual date element tag & class in the site- to catch the actual date it not works

my server time is UTC+2

the main feed server time is also UTC+2

how can i solve this?

Hi Adnan, the original feed does not contain a time zone in its item dates. You’ll see this is the first thing the feed validator complains about: http://feedvalidator.org/check.cgi?url=www.youm7.com%2Fnew3agelrss.asp

So when Full-Text RSS encounters “Tue, 19 Nov 2013 18:48:05” in the original feed, we simply assume it’s UTC time (as there’s no time zone information to help us). So Full-Text RSS outputs: Tue, 19 Nov 2013 18:48:05 +0000

I would suggest you point the publishers of the feed to the feed validator output and ask them to fix the time zone issue. That should fix the Full-Text RSS output.

Hope that’s some help.

Thanks for your information, but your solution is impossible because i have a lot of feeds with this issue, also i can’t contact all & if i find some way to contact they will not responds to the issue.

So i think that we have some solution in our side “full text RSS”.

What about this?

thanks for your attempt to help.

adnan

Hi Adnan, can you send us examples of other feeds with this issue? The point I was making in my last reply is that this shouldn’t be an issue if the feed includes the date correctly (with the time zone). The one example you’ve posted so far is a feed which does not validate - partly because of the way it outputs its dates (omitting the time zone). Full-Text RSS tries to generate a valid feed, so we must include a time zone when we output a date for a feed item. If the date in the original feed is unspecific, there’s little we can do.

I forgot to mention that we do not use extracted dates if the input URL is a feed which already contains a date. So the extracted date is only used when the input feed contains items without dates, or if it is an individual article rather than a feed. So in this case, the extracted date is not used. (It is also unlikely to work on non-English dates.)

Hope that’s some help.

Well, according to your very helpful information i think that now i have three solutions :
1- Correct the the date by add “EST” to it by any way .
2- Change the time zone to this feed particular lets say by site patterns in the config text file.
3- Remove the date from the feed items at all

Note please: we don’t need to give other examples because all the feeds have this issue is not validate by FeedValidator.

adnan

According to my last reply with 3 solutions:

i have achieved the third one “Remove the date from the feed items at all”

by edit line 1107 in makefulltextfeed.php file from

if ((int)$item->get_date(‘U’) > 0) {

to

if ((int)$item->get_date(‘U’-10) > 0) {

Any idea how to achieve the other 2 solutions?

adnan

Hi Adnan, it’s of course possible to modify the Full-Text RSS code to treat this particular feed differently and fix its obvious problems (the easiest route would be to remove the code which checks the item date and the code which sets the item date, ie. removing all item dates from the feed output). It looks like you’re looking at the right bit of code to achieve this. The configuration options we currently offer - including our site config files - will not help counter the problems with this feed or to disable dates. We may eventually add an option to let users omit dates from our generated feeds, but no plans yet.

For parsing feeds, we rely on SimplePie, and it already does a great job dealing with most of the common feed issues around. We don’t want to devote time to fixing obscure problems which should really be addressed by the people producing the feed - the feed validator is there to help them do that - if a feed doesn’t validate, the responsibility should be with the feed producer. In some cases, if it can be shown that a problem affects a great number of feeds or one feed with a great number of subscribers, we might consider countering the problem in our own code. But that rarely happens. In this case, I’m not convinced we need to take any action.

At all thanks for your information, sorry for inconvenience

By removing the date some of problems solved, i will try to achieve the other 2 solutions by myself

adnan