Feedly not showing featured image

Not sure if this is a Feed Creator or Full Text RSS issue but here goes.

I have my own hosted versions of Feed Creator and FTR. I create partial feed with Feed Creator, convert it to full feed using FTR and then provide the final URL to Feedly. Most feeds work properly but for some feeds Feedly doesn’t show featured images in the story list view (even though it does show images inside each story). Feedly’s optimisation tips mention this.

Feedly will associate a featured image with each story. This image is used when we show a preview of the story to the reader.

Here are the set of rules we use to pick the featured visual:

If the content of the story in the feed has an img element with a webfeedsFeaturedVisual classname, that image will be selected as the featured image.

If the first img in the story has a height and width greater than 450 pixels, that first image will be selected as the featured image. If not, Feedly will try to pick the largest image in the story.

If the feed is partial, the Feedly poller will look up in the web page and see if the webpage includes open graph or Twitter card metadata and use that as the featured visual.

Having a great featured image associated with your post is one of the most important aspects of increasing engagement with your readership. A great visual will help draw the user into your story.

The images inside the story have height and width above 450 pixels, so that is not the problem. Is it possible to extract the image (either from og:image or from within the story) and output it as an img element with a webfeedsFeaturedVisual classname so that Feedly picks them up correctly?

Thanks for letting us know. This seems like a very Feedly-specific issue, so I’m not sure we’re going to do anything about it.

You say there are images which meet Feedly’s criteria, so perhaps an email to their support to see why they’re not being used could help figure out what’s going on.

Is it possible to extract the image (either from og:image or from within the story) and output it as an img element with a webfeedsFeaturedVisual classname so that Feedly picks them up correctly?

Full-Text RSS will insert the og:image into the body if no other images are extracted, but it won’t have the webfeedsFeaturedVisual class name.