Facebook/Twitter/Instagram embedded content

Hi,
Thanks for the great software.
I’m using it in a few projects with success.
But now I have a question - could ffr extract page content with social networks embeddings (as it does for YouTube)?
It’ll be very useful.

Thanks for the question. Full-Text RSS makes one request for each page and expects all the content to be on that one HTML. We can preserve iframes (like YouTube emeds) but when a site includes embeds using Javascript, those do not currently get processed (we don’t process any Javascript, so sites which rely exclusively on it will fail as well). We are thinking about ways to address this in future releases, but at the moment there’s not much we can do.

Is there any possible solution for embedded Twitter/Instagram content?

Lire shipped an update that allows display of embedded content but it does not work with feeds run through FTR.

There are several ways to embed content from X or Insta or Youtube. And it depends on how a website is doing this. So we need a few example links of articles with embedded content. Then we could see, if it is possible to bring that into the feed.

I use mostly hard paywalled sources with FTR, so took me awhile to find one that’s not. Here’s one. Thanks!

The streamable videos work but not the embedded tweet. The tweet does parse by FTR in text and URL form.

@SixthStreet OK, I think I need to explain some things first:

• FTR (Fulltext-RSS) tries to figure out, what could be the relevant parts with some algorithms, which works on many standard CMS, but not for all.
  • If FTR can’t catch the full text (error) or is catching more or less than the article itself, there is a need of a website specific config-file on a domain-name basis to define, what is the body of the article and which useless parts should be stripped.
  • Therefore we need example article URLs for each different domain. If they are paywalled, we can’t help, sorry. But FTR will not show you paywall content at all. Except for some sites with light pay-curtains.

For given example, a simple ‘prune: no’ helps for the videos. But there are other things, which have to be managed, to get a more cleaner article. I will check this.
EDIT: Sorry, I thought, it was about video, because these was not shown with my first check. ‘Prune: no’ alone doesn’t help with X/Twitter. Will try to get around this, too.

Are you self-hosting or are You using the service at ftr.fivefilters.org|net?

Sorry, maybe I wasn’t clear enough in the previous post, but yes I am referring to the tweet video.

I am self hosting, but I don’t believe it works at the FiveFilters hosted site either.

@SixthStreet I just see, the link within that tweet, even directly on their page. That could be because of my privacy settings (PiHole, PrivacyBadger, uBlock Origin).

As self-hoster, try to copy the site-config I made to site_config/custom in your installation.

allphly.com.txt

For FTR-service my PR#1209 needs to be approved by a dev first.

That is the view in my Firefox:
grafik