Extraction rules for hosted

If I buy the self hosted version, does it ship with the same in-built extraction rules that are on par with the Pay-As-You-Go version hosted by yourselves?
I’ve used the demo extractor a bit and find the extraction quite good (though not always as good as Readability/Instapaper/Clearly), and would hate to have to replicate all that work myself.
Thanks and regards,
Troy C.

Hi Troy,

Yes, the self-hosted version should be as good as our own hosted version. You might notice a difference if your server environment is missing some of the packages which Full-Text RSS can use to improve extraction. But we check for these in the compatibility test file, so you can run that before buying to see if your server supports those.

The in-built extraction rules (the ones which are targeted at specific sites/platforms) are hosted publicly at the following URL: https://github.com/fivefilters/ftr-site-config

When we fix rules or add additional ones, they appear in this repository. The self-hosted version of Full-Text RSS which we sell can be configured to automatically update custom extraction rules from this repository - that’s how our own hosted versions are updated too.

We are working on tools to improve site-specific extraction and to make it easier for users to contribute their own extraction rules.

Hope that answers your question. Feel free to reply if there’s anything else you need to know.